Frequently Asked Questions

Q & A

Q- Can I purchase insurance through KTAC Insurance Agency if I pay cash for my equipment?
Yes! However, the Kubota-Endorsed insurance is only available for cash customers who can provide a bill of sale showing that they have purchased their Kubota equipment from an authorized Kubota dealer within the last 30 days.
Q- What happens if I pay off my contract with Kubota Credit Corporation, U.S.A. early?
Your insurance through KTAC Insurance Agency will cancel at the time of pay off and the unused portion is applied to your current balance. You can choose to purchase a new policy at this time by contacting a representative at 800-348-5802.
Q- Who is OIC (Ohio Indemnity Company)?
This valuable Kubota-Endorsed Property Damage Insurance is underwritten and issued by Ohio Indemnity Company.
Q-  Is my equipment insured off my property?
Yes! Your equipment is insured, On and Off your property, and In-Transit.
Q- What is the deductible?
A low $250 deductible will apply to each occurrence.
Q- Can I include the monthly premium payment with my installment contract payment to Kubota Credit Corporation, U.S.A.?
Yes! The Kubota-Endorsed Property Damage Insurance is a convenient way to receive competitive rates and quality insurance protection you may not be able to obtain elsewhere.
Q- How do I get a quote?
You can request a Free quote on-line or by calling 800-348-5802.
Q- What are my payment options?
  • When you choose to finance your equipment through Kubota Credit Corporation, U.S.A., you may add the cost of insurance through KTAC Insurance Agency to your installment payment before signing your retail finance agreement. That means one convenient bill for all your required payments. This option is only available at the time of purchase.
  • At any point during your finance term, you can take advantage of the outstanding benefits by purchasing an annual policy. However, if you are requesting coverage on equipment that was financed over 30 days ago, you may be required to have the equipment inspected for pre-existing physical damage by an authorized Kubota dealer prior to a policy being issued through KTAC Insurance Agency.
Q- Is my equipment covered on my homeowner's policy?
A typical homeowner's policy may not meet the requirements of the Retail Finance Agreement associated with financing your Kubota. Unlike the typical homeowner's policy, this valuable policy offers broader protection for your Kubota equipment. Some advantages of insurance through KTAC Insurance Agency include protection for your equipment off-property and in-transit. It also provides protection for larger tractors that are often excluded from your homeowner's policy.
Q- How do I file a claim?
Check out our claims center for instructions on how to file a claim, submit your claim information on-line, or contact a claims representative at 800-348-5802, option 1.
Q- What do I do after I submit a claim?
If you have not already contacted a Kubota-Authorized dealership, do so. You can schedule a time to bring in your equipment. Once the equipment is at the dealership, they will prepare a damage estimate and provide the estimate directly to the OIC adjuster.

NOTICE: This information is not a complete description of all terms, conditions, and exclusions applicable. Actual coverage is subject to the language of the policy underwritten and issued by Ohio Indemnity Company.